Monday, August 17, 2009

Camryn's arrival

Camryn Grace Johnson
July 6th, 2009 ~ 3:42pm
7lbs 9oz ~ 20.5 inches

Camryn Grace was born at 3:42pm, on Monday, July 6th, 2009. The story of her birth began one week earlier, when I was hospitalized due to pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure, protein in urine, swelling, headaches, and blurred vision). I was 38 weeks at the time and thought that they would induce me. However, my OB decided it was best to keep Camryn cooking for another week. I was discharged from the hospital and put on modified bed rest, with an induction date of July 7th. I had to go to the hospital every other day for monitoring of Camryn's heart rate and for ultrasounds (but who could complain about seeing their baby every other day!). On July 5th, Matt and I went to the hospital for the usual NST, never imagining we would be having a baby! During the NST, I had a 12 minute contraction that caused Camryn's heartrate to drop into the 60's. The nurses came running in, turned me on my left side, and gave me oxygen. They were about to give me an injection of terbultaline (it would release the contraction), but luckily Camryn's heartrate came right back up. The nurses called my OB and everyone decided it was best to induce me then. My OB came in around 4pm and checked me. Since I was 0cm dilated, she started Cervidil, which was suppossed to get things going. Immediately contractions started to become more intense (apprently I was already in early labor)...and because Camryn was "sunny side up"...I felt them in my back. I labored through the night and my OB checked me 12 hours later at 4am...no progress! She then started Pitocin and came back to check me at 7am...still no progress! I begged for the epidural; they were hesitant to give it to me because I was not dialating, but I had been in labor at that point for 15 hours, with back labor! They finally agreed to give it to me and what relief! My OB went to her office to see her patients for the morning and returned around noon....no progress! At that point, I was done! We decided to go ahead with a C-section. At 3:30pm, I was prepped and brought into the OR. Matt was there with me and was quite the trooper! 12 minutes later, we heard the best sound in the world...Camryn's first cries! Apparently her shoulders were stuck in my pelvis and she was not coming out any other way! Camryn was brought to the incubator where the neonatologist assessed her...she scored a 9-9 on her APGARs. They brought her over to me for a quick kiss hello, then brought her to the nursery with Matt. There our families were anxiously awaiting her arrival.

0 comments: